UKForex
  • You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality
  • You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality
  • Mark post as unread
  • speedy 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
  •  
We are moving to France this year and I need to know what/how many plants I can bring with me. Can you help?
Want to PM someone? You'll need to subscribe to British Expat.
You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality Back to top
  • Mark post as unread
  • chabrenas 
  • Site Admin 
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
I don't think there's any limit. My wife brought 120 hedging plants (hawthorn and rosa rugosa) from a nursery on the Isle of Wight, and has since brought roses from a Buckinghamshire nursery, but I'm pretty sure she didn't take any certificates with them. I'll ask her tomorrow.
Did you know that espadrilles were worn by footsoldiers in the XIIIth century?
http://www.squidoo.com/ropeysoles#module6162145

You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality Back to top
  • Mark post as unread
  • Mike 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
To the best of my knowledge, there are no restrictions regarding movement of plants within the EC, apart from the EC passport regulations. These regulations are/should be observed by all reputable nurseries, and any plant bought should have the relevant details on the label. If not, take the matter up with the supplier in the strongest terms.

On the other hand, if you are moving plants not bought from a nursery - ie dug up from your own garden or given from friends, you could be on a sticky wicket.

Seeds are unrestricted within the EC. Unrooted cuttings are a grey area. Depending on the plant, and the time of year, one option may be to take semi-ripe or softwood cuttings, pack them in a moist plastic bag, and see what Customs make of it - if they find it.

And lets face it, even if you dig the whole plant up and pack it in your suitcase, it's not metal.

But I didn't say that, okay?

Remember - there is unrestricted trade within the EC of plants and plant material (in fact, Holland floods the UK landscaping market to the extent that our own producers are struggling to compete).

If you're thinking of taking plants bought from nurseries, you should be okay, and the above should help.

If you're taking your own home-grown plants, the above will be of little help - but I'll invite you to join me in the crusade. If the major players can move plants at will, why should individuals have to smuggle them?

Mike
Subscribe to British Expat today to get the most out of our great community.
You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality Back to top
  • Mark post as unread
  • anndim 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
Before I moved here last October, I had a number of movers' quotes. Pickfords said they were not allowed to take plants but [Edited: Pickfords were very helpful. Laughing Kay].

I had about 30 cacti along with 3 cuttings of my favourite climbing rose (Compassion). These "cuttings" were in fact last year's and 3 feet tall, in large pots.

Another mover - Masons - said "no problem" and carefully packed all the cacti (I sympathised!) in boxes, along with the roses. They were not aware of any problems in moving plants.

Incidentally, I can highly recommend Masons - Cardiff area.
Fixing up a house for sale? HouseWiz can help!
You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality Back to top
  • Mark post as unread
  • Not-Lorna 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
anndim wrote:Pickfords said they were not allowed to take plants but [Edited: erm, this is a public forum, remember. Kay]

Pickfords told me I could take as many houseplants to Spain as I wanted! Question ...and I did. 8)
Follow British Expat on Twitter!
  • Mark post as unread
  • Mike 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
Done my homework, and I'm afraid this is the best I can come up with . .

http://www.britishexpat.com/garden/gardenlatest.htm

Mike
Can't decide when to time your currency exchange transaction? Let OzForex help!
  • Mark post as unread
  • Mike 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
I'm not at all happy with the response I gave to this question on the main BE site.

(Not that you give a toss, I'm sure, given the lack of response. You asked the question. I did my best to answer.)

I have posed a relevant question to the appropriate Scottish Minister, by email. If he replies, I will quote here in full. If he doesn't, I'll keep pestering him.

Then again, I may just keep the info to myself.

I didn't start this thread, but I did a shed-load of work to try to provide some answers.

But I realise C in the P is a minority interest board, so I fully understand that the majority of you don't give a fork about exporting plants, nor indeed about the time I've spent trying to find answers to someone else's question.

Were you winding me up?
Join British Expat on Facebook!
  • Mark post as unread
  • anndim 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
Your answer was excellent and gave us an insight to what we can expect.

All us Brits are passionate gardeners, but you don't know who to believe and you can hardly pack plants in a suitcase!

I doubt if you will get a straight answer from the Scottish Minister. Please do share your info - we really are interested. Maybe we have already done the deed but we also need the info to pass on to friends/family etc.

Keep up the good work!
Have you signed up for the British Expat newsletter?
  • Mark post as unread
  • chabrenas 
  • Site Admin 
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
Quote:you can hardly pack plants in a suitcase

Sez who? Try telling that to my wife... She took a trailer filled with 120 hedging plants from a nursery on the Isle of Wight to France via the Chunnel.
Did you know that espadrilles were worn by footsoldiers in the XIIIth century?
http://www.squidoo.com/ropeysoles#module6162145

• Mark post as unread
  • anndim 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
Quote:She took a trailer filled with 120 hedging plants from a nursery on the Isle of Wight to France via the Chunnel.

Why? Don't they speak Latin in France?
Join British Expat on Facebook!
  • Mark post as unread
  • speedy 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
  •  
Thanks for all the help about plants: I don't have as many as I thought I would have to take - Frost has taken its toll! But many thanks all the same
Have you read the British Expat Editors' Blog lately?
  • Mark post as unread
  • Mike 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
Here we go, folks. A very helpful answer from the MSP responsible.

In order to make sense of his reply, I guess I must quote my enquiry in full.

"Dear Mr Wilson

I write to you as a last resort. I have trawled through umpteen Scottish Exec, Defra and many other sites, but cannot find the answer to a very simple question.

What restrictions - if any - apply to the movement of plants within the EC? I'm not talking about commercial transactions, plant passports, etc. I'm simply talking about a UK citizen re-locating within Europe, and wanting to take with them a few treasured plants.

The HM Customs & Excise website is too obsessed with cannabis, and ignores my simple question. The Scottish Exec seems totally focussed on commercial transactions.

I would welcome from you a simple answer to this simple question - If I re-locate from the UK to elsewhere in the EC, and I want to take my favourite plants with me, are there any restrictions?

Best regards, and thank you in anticipation of your response.

Mike Clark. "

I quote the reply of Allan Wilson, MSP, in full - unedited in respect of grammar and punctuation -

i'll try. Can you advise here you currently reside?

This humble contributor tries, and often fails, to adhere to the maxim of "do not pist when possed". This humble contributor, having been there and got the T-shirt, welcomes with open arms and an understanding cameraderie, others of this ilk whose fingers are at times nae sae quick as the brain reckons they should be.

Fitivver, this humble contributor is not an MSP.

We WILL have an answer (was my question really so obscure?).
I can out-drink an MSP any day.

Watch this space.

Mike
Check out British Expat's business and travel eBooks on ErgoGuides.com!
  • Mark post as unread
  • Kay 
  • Site Admin 
  • Upload Users Avatar 
That's a pretty crap response you got, Mike. I can already imagine the next Clark in the Park column. Go for it!

I wrote more, but deleted it... words fail me.

Kay Smile
Kay's Blog - My blog about online business and earning money online.

Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.

You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality Visit poster's website Back to top
  • Mark post as unread
  • Mike 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
With hindsight, I fear I may have caused offence - or worse still, stimulated thoughts of litigation - by obliquely suggesting that an MSP may be p*ssed. This conclusion was an obvious one to jump to, on the evidence presented, given that I, myself, hard to believe though it may be, occasionaly drop caps, miss letters from words, and bodyswerve grammar when I've sniffed excessively at the cork of an Ord.

With time to reflect, I reckon the above quoted reply came from a minion. Probably a minion on Work Experience, not with a penchant for the Water of Life, but rather with a D minus in riting and speling.

I have responded (perhaps with too many teeth), so I won't hold my breath.

Maybe I'll wait until Allan Wilson's back doing his depute thing again, and try Ross Finnie, when he returns fit and well to resume his shafting crusade against Scottish fishermen.

Or maybe I'm just the wrong person to be doing this . . . Twisted Evil

Mike
Worried about insuring your home abroad? British Expat has the answer!
  • Mark post as unread
  • Mike 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
Hudonameenit!!

I've just had a brilliant idea!

I'm going to ask the same question of the SNP, quoting my question and Allan Wilson's (barely literate) response.

Somebody hud me back, afore Clarkie in the Parkie gets too political!

8)

Let's stir kich*

Mike

*alternative spelling "quiche", but with the ch as in "Loch". Ask Douglas Kynoch.
Subscribe to British Expat today to get the most out of our great community.
Need forex? UKForex Foreign Exchange Transfers
Top-selling Amazon paperbacks
Adverts
  • All information, postings etc are copyright of British Expat Ltd © 2000-2014 or of the original author, and may not be reproduced elsewhere without written permission of the copyright holder.