• You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality
  • You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality
  • Mark post as unread
  • JDennis 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
Hello Anyone!

Our family is relocating to Malta, and my husband and I are due to visit the island for a quick tour over Easter. I am currently pregnant and due in August, we also have a 21 month old daughter.

We plan to re-locate to Malta for the period of my maternity leavre and as adults I am pretty sure that everything will great for us and if not - we can manage it. My concerns hinge around the entertainment, childcare and well-being of 2 small children during our stay. We plan to arrive in early November, and all things being well, we will have an 10 week old baby and a 2 year old. I worry about the property rental and weather at this time of year, obviously want a warm & cosy residence during what I understand can be a grim season. Additionally, I would be interested in hearing of playgroups/pre-schools for my toddler and their accessibility and standard.

Also, as a current working mum, will be really keen to maintain some brainpower activity, and would like to know of opportunities to meet some folks in similar positions; looking after 2 babies during the day.

Just wondered if anyone has overcome similar concerns or has experience or information in anything concerning the moving of 2 small children to Malta.

Main issues.....
a) Keeping us warm! Weather and/vs housing.
b) Childcare & entertainment for toddler
c) Maintaining my sanity - opportunities to meet other mum's/make friends
d) Moving to Malta feels like the right thing to do.... got any evidence of why is this a good idea...?

Would love to hear from anyone....

Jane
Join British Expat on Facebook!
You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality Back to top
  • Mark post as unread
  • Ginger 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
Hi Jane,
It's nice to see a post on this subject as our family are also planning to re locate to Malta in the next few months. We do have a few family and friends on the island but it’s a lot different to actually move lock stock and barrel compared to a holiday.
I’ve got 2 children aged 11 and nearly 3 and it’s a wonderful place to bring up kids in my opinion as I’ve been there many times over the years and always felt safe. When we relocate I will look after my kids full time as opposed to now where they are with carers whilst my husband and I both work so I’ll also be keen to find entertainment for my 3 year old.
From what I can see you will have no problem finding rental accommodation as there seems to be plenty available which look clean and attractive and I’m sure there are loads of playgroups and nurseries as the Maltese are very family orientated. Also, an added bonus is that everyone speaks English (but I am currently learning Maltese via cd rom).
As for the weather, well, I’m pretty sure it’s going to be better than the UK anyway.
I also have a few concerns similar to yours but I’m sure it will be fine as I’ve been there with small children/babies and never found day to day life a problem. I once badly hurt my back whilst there and needed a Doctor quickly. My inlaws GP came out within a few hours and was kind and helpful.
Good luck and it’d be great to keep in touch and compare notes.
Angela
Smile
If you're going to buy or book online, please help British Expat by using our affiliate links!
Last edited by Ginger on Thu 6 Apr 2006 11:53 GMT; edited 1 time in total
You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality Back to top
Need forex? UKForex Foreign Exchange Transfers
Our eBooks
Adverts
  • All information, postings etc are copyright of British Expat Ltd © 2000-2014 or of the original author, and may not be reproduced elsewhere without written permission of the copyright holder.