• You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality
  • You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality
  • Mark post as unread
  • ang84 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
hi im angela im 26 i have just recently moved to malta from sunderland with my husband and our 2 daughters i dont no any one in malta apart from my parents who live here too so looking to mee some new friends to meet up with
Follow British Expat on Twitter!
You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality Back to top
  • Mark post as unread
  • pumabob 
  • Supporter 
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
Hi Angela and welcome to the forum.

It might help a little bit more if you told us where you are living in Malta.
There are lots of ex-pats all over the island, bound to be some near you. Very Happy
Premium members have access to private boards and the private messaging system.
You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality Back to top
  • Mark post as unread
  • gozomark 
  • Site Admin 
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
Hi Angela, and welcome from me as well Smile
Show your support for Gozo SPCA by joining them on Facebook
You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality Back to top
  • Mark post as unread
  • Eggs 
  • Supporter 
  • Upload Users Avatar 
How old are your kids aswell Smile
===================
Rob Marna Harry Zara Razz
===================

• Mark post as unread
  • mumstheword 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
hi my name is amy smith,im a pensioner, widowed, and i am 78yrs young. i live in Bugibba, my daughter lives with me. iam looking 2 make new friends in this area, 4 talks and coffee, etc
Subscribe to British Expat today to get the most out of our great community.
You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality Back to top
  • Mark post as unread
  • halljenw 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
Hi Angela, my family and I have moved over here last month from West Yorkshire. I have two children - a girl aged 5 and a boy aged 9. We are living in Qawra and also looking to make some friends. My husband is at work during the day so it would be nice to make some friends who I could meet and chat with. Where abouts are you living?
Read the British newspapers online!
  • Mark post as unread
  • Echotango 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
Do any of you have Maltese friends. Not casual aquaintances. But people you would invite over for a drink, meal?

How is gossip and attitude towards the English or any expat for that that matter. Do the Maltese accept you or do you live in isolation from them.

Has anyone tried to learn Maltese.

Sorry three question in one.
Follow British Expat on Twitter!
  • Mark post as unread
  • gozomark 
  • Site Admin 
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
I have a small number of Maltese friends who I'm very close with.

Attitude to expats? Generally very good, but it depends on the expat! Whinging brits do not go down well, and then those people wonder why Maltese aren't friendly to them.
  • Mark post as unread
  • Rachy 
  • Premium Member 
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
We have several Maltese friends, some close we have found Maltese to be very friendly., but as Mark said expect to be treated as you treat others. Like you would in UK, you might have to make the effort to get to know people.

I guess it also depends on where you live - where we are it's very multi-cultural, but if you are in a village away from the main tourist areas you might not have as many expats around you.

I'm currently learning Maltese, and it's, erm, quite challenging Laughing
Premium members enjoy a lot more benefits on British Expat
You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality Back to top
  • Mark post as unread
  • Echotango 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
Thanks Guys, very positive
Want to PM someone? You'll need to subscribe to British Expat.
  • Mark post as unread
  • mummy2bella 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
hi angela, welcome to malta, where abouts are you living? i moved over here about 4 years with my husband and we have a daughter of 10 months. i STILL have no friends over here. and unlike you i have no family over here, only my husbands family! if you would like to talk im here Smile Zoe x
Can't decide when to time your currency exchange transaction? Let OzForex help!
  • Mark post as unread
  • gozomark 
  • Site Admin 
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
Hi Zoe, and welcome to the forum Smile
  • Mark post as unread
  • mummy2bella 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
hi mark thankyou Smile
Join British Expat on Facebook!
  • Mark post as unread
  • AnnMandy 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
Hello all! Already come across some of you on here, but 'hi' to those I haven't yet. Positive feedback on the locals. I thought they couldn't be less friendly than the French! (Who I adore now, but on first arrival ....) Though I imagine the language is more tricky!!!
Fixing up a house for sale? HouseWiz can help!
  • Mark post as unread
  • maxine 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
We arrived here 4 days ago and after the initial shock factor of a new culture, we are beginning to love it!
The secret is to remember that we are foreigners in a foreign land and to be respectful. It's different from the UK (and even more so than the US where we lived for 10 years) and we can't judge others based on our own cultural upbringing. The standards of cleanliness, the driving, the living standards, the roads etc are all different and we just have to accept that it's not England.
I am most appreciative that most people speak English, even if the accent can be rather strong, and I will try and learn some basic Maltese (currently learning how to pronounce the town names lol) because I think it would be fun and a great way to get along with the locals.

The first thing that hit me was when I watched a couple of older men chatting - I thought it was going to come to blows because the language sounds so harsh (being based on Arabic) - of course they were just passing the time of day but it gives the impression that the Maltese are always 'dour' (good Scottish word) but in fact they are very friendly.

However, as the Aussies say, there is no room for 'whingeing poms' LOL
Have you read the British Expat Editors' Blog lately?
Need forex? UKForex Foreign Exchange Transfers
Top-selling Amazon paperbacks
Adverts
  • All information, postings etc are copyright of British Expat Ltd © 2000-2014 or of the original author, and may not be reproduced elsewhere without written permission of the copyright holder.