• You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality
  • You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality
  • Mark post as unread
  • PeterN 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
My uncle moved from UK in 1970, lived in Gharb and died in 2006. With local help, I arranged his burial in Xewkija Cemetry. I was told at the time that, in a few years, his remains would need to be raised and either re-buried in a smaller coffin or dropped at sea. How do I go about organising this (from UK) and what sort of ceremony is traditionally attached to the event? Any advice would be appreciated. I hope I have chosen a suitable section for this question!
Fixing up a house for sale? HouseWiz can help!
You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality Back to top
  • Mark post as unread
  • gozomark 
  • Site Admin 
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
Hi Peter, and welcome to the forum Smile

I've heard something similar - its for people who don't have a family plot I believe, which generally means foreigners - but have no experience of this. One suggestion - did your uncle have a will in Gozo ? - if so, it could be worth contacting his notary or lawyer. Otherwise, contact the Xewjika parish http://www.xewkijaparish.org/

Mons Carmelo Mercieca
Ufficju Parrokjali
Pjazza San Gwann Battista
Xewkija, Gozo
Malta.

Telephone: +356 21556793
Show your support for Gozo SPCA by joining them on Facebook
You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality Back to top
  • Mark post as unread
  • PeterN 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
Thank you very much Monsignor, that is very helpful. I shall leave this thread open for a little longer in case someone has first hand experience of this problem.

Peter
Read the British newspapers online!
You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality Back to top
  • Mark post as unread
  • Rusiannefx 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
Hi, not sure if you still need help or not.
This burial process is done for the Maltese people also, the reason being that there is not enough space on the island for everyone to have full burial plots. When my grandfather passed away my uncle had to be there as a family representative for the exhuming process, no formal ceremony is needed.
In each family plot there contains the remains of many family members in much small caskets, essentially containing there bones and anything that might have survived decomposition, in my grandfathers case it was his nylon socks.
Yes, it is an unpleasant experience for the person voted to be the family representative, but also a nobel one.
Subscribers of British Expat can include a link to their own website here.
Need forex? UKForex Foreign Exchange Transfers
Our eBooks
Adverts
  • All information, postings etc are copyright of British Expat Ltd © 2000-2014 or of the original author, and may not be reproduced elsewhere without written permission of the copyright holder.