• You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality
  • You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality
  • Mark post as unread
  • John.S 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
  •  
Thank you Peterj.
Another question. Please. Do you have to change your driving licence from UK to your new Residence? In Italy I forgot and after three years I had to abandon driving or get a new test. I just abandoned my driving as I lived in the center of Rome. But If I came to Malt can I exchange my British driving licence that's still valid to a maltese one?
Check out British Expat's business and travel eBooks on ErgoGuides.com!
You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality Back to top
  • Mark post as unread
  • peterj 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
from
http://www.maltatransport.com/en/ltd/driving/maltadriving/foreign.shtml?s=58CB3F22-7D9409162012-8BFA

Can I drive in Malta on a non-Maltese driving licence ?

Any one holding a valid E.U. driving licence who is over the age of 18 may drive in Malta until the expiry date of that licence.

Any one holding a valid non-E.U. driving licence who is over the age of 18 can drive in Malta for a period of twelve months from his/her last arrival in Malta.

How do I exchange a non-Maltese EU driving licence for a Maltese EU driving licence ?

If you have been living,working or studying in Malta for more than 185 days (6 months) during the last 365 days and the foreign Driving Licence you hold is exchangeable with a Maltese one (issued in an EU member state), you can apply for an exchange of your Driving Licence. You will need to apply in person at the Driver Licensing Unit (Hall C) LTD, producing:

A complete application form Available soon on line
One coloured passport-sized photograph;
Your driving licence;
Your passport and Identity Card;
Maltese identity card (if available)
To be eligible to apply, you must be in possession of a Maltese Identity Card. You will also be asked to sign a declaration concering your period of stay in Malta.

After receiving clearance from the country that issued your licence, LTD will inform you to collect your Maltese driving licence, against payment. The EU licence will be returned to the country concerned.

YOU CANNOT POSSESS MORE THAN ONE DRIVING LICENCE ISSUED FROM DIFFERENT EU MEMBER STATES.

[edit gozomark - I changed my licence in Gozo, at the Ministry buildings, St Francis Square, Victoria]

One note of caution on the UK one - I've been told recently that my (issued 20 odd years ago) paper UK one is no longer valid, and in fact I am theoretically up for a large fine for not surrendering it when I moved overseas permanently in '89. Again I can't be 100% sure of this info and I certainly don't intend to rattle the DVLC cage about it.
Subscribe to British Expat today to get the most out of our great community.
You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality Back to top
  • Mark post as unread
  • John.S 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
  •  
We seem to have the same situation here. I have the still have the green (piece of paper) licence. As it says that it expires in 2015 I did not know that it was becoming obsolete
Thank you for your information,
Follow British Expat on Twitter!
  • Mark post as unread
  • gozomark 
  • Site Admin 
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
yes you can still convert your UK licence, and I'd suggest doing so - why ?

1. you have an old UK paper one - if you don't live in the UK its difficult to change it to a new UK one, so if you lose it, its a real problem
2. a Maltese one (well really its an EU one issued by Malta) is cheaper to renew
3. if you get caught speeding in the UK, you currently cannot get points added to a non-UK licence

one thing to be careful of - if you change to a UK one, the only start date on it will be the issue of the licence in Malta, so you will need to keep a photocopy of your UK licence for 12 months in case you want to hire a car as many hire companies won't hire a car to someone who has only had a licence for 12 months
Missing your local paper back 'home'? British Newspapers online
You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality Back to top
  • Mark post as unread
  • John.S 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
  •  
[quote="gozomark"]yes you can still convert your UK licence, and I'd suggest doing so - why ? Thank you very much GozoMark
  • Mark post as unread
  • gozomark 
  • Site Admin 
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
A pleasure, John - my point about hire companies - some still won't hire even with the photocopy, but I found most would.

Also, if you convert, the Maltese will take your UK one off you, and send it back to the UK - when I converted mine it was all done in about a week I think - you get a cc sized card with your photo, plus a paper counterpart. Certainly in Gozo is was painless - maybe a 10 minute queue - don't do it near the end of the month, as you will be in the same queue as those renewing their car tax, so could take alot longer !

unfortunately the application form isn't available online yet

http://www.maltatransport.com/en/ltd/driving/maltadriving/foreign.shtml?s=502D1569-7D7624182009-141AB
Premium members enjoy a lot more benefits on British Expat
You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality Back to top
  • Mark post as unread
  • John.S 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
  •  
Im hoping to come next year but still have to talk to people about living in Malta and traveling to the other countrys to work. So I will be coming for a holiday soon.
Fixing up a house for sale? HouseWiz can help!
  • Mark post as unread
  • maltajon 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
No one has covered the subject of age, when surrendering the UK Licence for a Maltese Licence. The one letter says it's OK if over 18, but says nothing about an upper age limit or whether medical/eye tests are required.
Also, the name of the Office where one applies is given, but doesn't say where it is !!
Someone must have the answers. I can't find them by googling the question.
Thanks in anticipation
Have you signed up for the British Expat newsletter?
  • Mark post as unread
  • gozomark 
  • Site Admin 
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
Hi Jon - long time no see - welcome back Very Happy

http://www.maltatransport.com/en/ltd/driving/drivinglicences/renewal.shtml?s=58CB3F22-7D9312152622-16420

if you are 70 years of age or over and your Licence is about to expire, you will receive a Renewal Form (DRV.07),by the LTD requesting a coloured photograph, signature, medical certificate available online on www.licenzji-tas-sewqan.gov.mt and payment for 5 years

the above applies to someone who has already got a Maltese licence, but I presume same would apply in your case as they are really EU not national licences

the address is at the bottom of the link above (sorry can't cut and paste it) - I presume this is the place to go for Malta

- in Gozo its in the Ministry building on St Francis Sq, Victoria
Show your support for Gozo SPCA by joining them on Facebook
  • Mark post as unread
  • Mr Kriss 
  • Supporter 
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
ADT address details and phone numbers are listed here:

http://www.maltatransport.com/en/alt/directory.shtml?menu=smnu2
Chris Coffee at the 'puter
Join the British Expat lending team at Kiva: http://www.kiva.org/team/britishexpatcom

• Mark post as unread
  • ann c 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
gozomark wrote:- when I converted mine it was all done in about a week I think - you get a cc sized card with your photo, plus a paper counterpart.

I finally got round to changing mine last October, the letter to say my new licence was ready did not come until January!!! Do they still do the paper part to the Maltese licence? I didn't get one!

Just an add on - you also need to get the application form signed by a doctor.
  • Mark post as unread
  • gozomark 
  • Site Admin 
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
its not really a Maltese licence, but an EU one issued by the Maltese authorities, and so is the same format all over the EU.

You get two parts as in the UK

good point on the doctors signature - from memory I went to the polyclinic in Victoria and they signed it for free
  • Mark post as unread
  • gozomark 
  • Site Admin 
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
I don't know f the article below will change the proceedure for converting your driving licence as it only refers to renewing

http://www.maltatransport.com/en/uplatest/20090310-rdl.shtml?s=58CB3F22-7D9314083301-D8AF

No renewal of Driving Licenses at ADT as from Wednesday 1st April

Renewals online or by post only.
The Malta Transport Authority notifies that as from Wednesday 1st April, driving license renewals will no longer be processed over the counter at the Licensing and Testing Offices in Floriana.
As from Wednesday 1st April renewals of driving licenses may only be affected either by post or online through www.licenzji-tas-sewqan.gov.mt.
The Malta Transport Authority sends out renewal notification notes 60 days before the expiry of a driving license in order to remind drivers that their license is about to expire. Drivers renewing their driving license by post must send the renewal notification back to the Malta Transport Authority. Renewed driving licenses will be dispatched by mail within 4 working weeks.
For further information kindly call on 8007 2393.
  • Mark post as unread
  • ann c 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
gozomark wrote:

You get two parts as in the UK

I guess I will have to go back and ask where my paper part is then!!!!
If you're going to buy or book online, please help British Expat by using our affiliate links!
  • Mark post as unread
  • maltajon 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
Thank you all for your great help. I can see you are a very nice crowd.
Thanks for the address to go to, from someone out there. I see today that from 1st April Licences will be dealt with and issued in the post.
Subscribers of British Expat can include a link to their own website here.
Need forex? UKForex Foreign Exchange Transfers
Top-selling Amazon paperbacks
Adverts
  • All information, postings etc are copyright of British Expat Ltd © 2000-2014 or of the original author, and may not be reproduced elsewhere without written permission of the copyright holder.