• You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality
  • You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality
  • Mark post as unread
  • pictou 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
  •  
My wife and I are moving from canada to Malta this late spring (I know we are not British-technically speaking that is). We will be bringing a 3 month old baby with us and are planning on renting in the Sliemma. I am working in Libya and commuting every second week is the plan.

I know many of these things have been addressed and I have spent the day reveiwing all interesting posts on this board but so many are old.

Would my wife, baby and I all have to apply for temporary residence permits or can it be done under 1 application?
What qualifies you for this Malta ID card?
With the 90 day stay allowed can we just take a holiday to Austria or something every three months and avoid the whole residency issue altogether?
No one will be working in Malta. We are insured. Our income is sufficient to meet the permanent residency standards.

thanks in advance
Want to PM someone? You'll need to subscribe to British Expat.
You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality Back to top
  • Mark post as unread
  • gozomark 
  • Site Admin 
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
I know you are coming from Canada, but are you EU citizens ?
Missing your local paper back 'home'? British Newspapers online
You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality Back to top
  • Mark post as unread
  • pictou 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
  •  
no...Canadian citizen
If you're going to buy or book online, please help British Expat by using our affiliate links!
You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality Back to top
  • Mark post as unread
  • gozomark 
  • Site Admin 
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
In that case I can't give you a definitive answer, but a few things to think about

1. a Maltese ID card is not the same thing as a temporary residence permit, but as you are not an EU citizen (and neither is your wife ??), I'm not sure what that means for you
2. if you are applying for permanent residency (PR), do you need to worry about temporary residency permits ? (BTW I trust you are aware of what PR means, namely its nothing like a permanent version of the temporary residency)
If you're going to buy or book online, please help this site by using our affiliate links.
You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality Back to top
  • Mark post as unread
  • pictou 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
  •  
thanks..."residency" is tricky as it has a lot of connotations on a lot of different fronts. We are maintaining our "residency" in Canada for tax reasons even though we will be "dwelling" in Malta if that makes sense...the ID card I just imagine would be handy so you can say you have a local address...thanks anyway!
Read the British newspapers online!
  • Mark post as unread
  • gozomark 
  • Site Admin 
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
As much as I and many others on this forum would love to help you on this one, I think you really need to speak to a tax accountant in Malta (I'm sure you've done this anyway, so sorry to sound like someone's mum ! Very Happy )

PR is mainly about tax, and I'm not sure why you would want to be PR if you are also remaining liable to tax in Canada - however, as you are not EU citizens you may have no choice, I'm not sure.

If you are in Malta for over half the year (I think its over half) you will be liable to tax in Malta - is there a double taxation treaty between Malta and Canada ?
Missing your local paper back 'home'? British Newspapers online
  • Mark post as unread
  • pictou 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
  •  
right...yeah i'll have to scope it out once i'm there...they do have a tax treaty with canada so i think ill pay wherever is higher...but i have no income in Malta (as in i am not earning anything there) but i suppose since i sue the infrastructure I would be accountable for some form of contribution...well we'll see...thanks though
Read the British newspapers online!
Need forex? UKForex Foreign Exchange Transfers
Top-selling Amazon paperbacks
Adverts
  • All information, postings etc are copyright of British Expat Ltd © 2000-2014 or of the original author, and may not be reproduced elsewhere without written permission of the copyright holder.