• You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality
  • You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality
  • Mark post as unread
  • GavD 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
  •  
Hi Guys
My wife and I are living in Spain and I have been offered a job in Malta. Our first child is due in Nov so we are waiting until then. I was wondering though if there are any mother and toddler/baby groups in Malta? Is the ex pat community a fair size?
Thanks in advance for your help
Gav
Follow British Expat on Twitter!
You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality Back to top
  • Mark post as unread
  • gozomark 
  • Site Admin 
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
Hi Gav, and welcome to the forum Very Happy

sorry, I don't do sprogs, so I'm no help on that side, but I'm sure someone else will be

expat community - about 15,000 people, so about 4% of population
Show your support for Gozo SPCA by joining them on Facebook
You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality Back to top
  • Mark post as unread
  • GavD 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
  •  
Thanks Mark! 15,000 is still a fair amount but nothing compared to here in spain!
This is probably a very ignorant thing to say as well but do most Maltese people speak English? I know that when we visited 10 years ago the english were made very welcome and most people spoke English

Gav
Have you read the British Expat Editors' Blog lately?
  • Mark post as unread
  • gozomark 
  • Site Admin 
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
not ignorant at all Very Happy

OK at a guess, I'd say 75% of Maltese citizens speak atleast good English, with most of the rest speaking passable English.
  • Mark post as unread
  • GavD 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
  •  
Thats great thanks. We speak Spanish but not enough to get by at the doctors here etc so it will be great to be somewhere that we will not need translators!
Can't wait to get over there!
Are there any English stores over there? I by no means want England in the Sun but just want to get a feel of what is there

Gav
Fixing up a house for sale? HouseWiz can help!
  • Mark post as unread
  • gozomark 
  • Site Admin 
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
With the close ties to the UK over the last 200 plus years, there is alot of Britshness about Malta, but there is also alot of Italian/Sicilian and Arabic influences.
You will find a few UK stores like M&S and BHS, but not many.
  • Mark post as unread
  • JJ 
  • Supporter 
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
And their prices are based on an outrageous exchange rate - at least €1.60=£1.00.
If you're going to buy or book online, please help this site by using our affiliate links.
You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality Back to top
  • Mark post as unread
  • keeleyc 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
  •  
I find it much more british here than Spain. There is a Topshop, Mothercare, Peacocks, Monsoon, Claire's, BHS, M & S, Bodyshop & Next.

I absolutely love the Maltese people, who I must say, seem to love the British. Practically every Maltese person I have spoken to speaks English.

We have taken our 1 year old to the doctors several times and never needed a translator.

On the subject of Mother Toddler groups, I am struggling to find any. The only thing I have found is a mother & toddler keep fit club. If you go to Eden Leisure it should have some information. They also do a kids cinema day. If I find any mother & Toddler groups in the meantime will definatley let you know.

If anyone on the site knows of any near the St Pauls; Bugibba, Qawra area, Pleasssssssssssssee let me know. Many thanks!
Subscribers of British Expat can include a link to their own website here.
You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality Back to top
  • Mark post as unread
  • Mr Lally 
  • Supporter 
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
I'm reopening another old thread, blowing off the dust, and looking for some new eyes...

We are moving with our little one to Gozo in January next year. It is clear from posts on this board that there's a lack of social events for toddlers/babies. Here in Brighton, most of the groups are formed by parents and I was wondering if anyone would be interested in forming a little group for next year? My partner is pretty good at organising, so we'd be happy to put the research in if there was demand.

My little girl has a voice like a fog horn, so if we can't organise anything before we move, I'm sure she'll be able to draw any local babies to her location through her noisy chatter.
Premium members enjoy a lot more benefits on British Expat
Need forex? UKForex Foreign Exchange Transfers
Top-selling Amazon paperbacks
Adverts
  • All information, postings etc are copyright of British Expat Ltd © 2000-2014 or of the original author, and may not be reproduced elsewhere without written permission of the copyright holder.