• You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality
  • You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality
  • Mark post as unread
  • johnofessex 
  • Supporter 
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
  •  
Pretty well my first post on this board was about Valletta. I was surprised that, given that it was the capital of the country, relatively few people seemed to live there or talk about it.

A little while later, I am (somewhat similarly) noticing that, while Victoria is technically the capital of Gozo, few of the many adoptive Gozitans on the forum seem to live there or talk about it much.

Could I ask what people might see as the pros and cons of Victoria as a place to live on Gozo?

Many thanks!
Premium members enjoy a lot more benefits on British Expat
You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality Back to top
  • Mark post as unread
  • gozomark 
  • Site Admin 
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
Victoria probably varies in terms of living areas as much as anywhere in Gozo, so its difficult to generalise - you have the old town with the narrow streets, and the modern areas on the outskirts. Did you have a particular part of Victoria in mind ?
Show your support for Gozo SPCA by joining them on Facebook
You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality Back to top
  • Mark post as unread
  • johnofessex 
  • Supporter 
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
  •  
Many thanks. Don't know the town, so can't say about locations within it - but your comments are themselves valuable new information. Overall spec is for a location which could offer some quiet, a reasonably wide range of urban facilities in walking distance, good access to public transport, and no need for a car.
  • Mark post as unread
  • Red 
  • Supporter 
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
Hi Johnofessex,

The bus station is in the middle of Victoria, so wherever your destination, if a bus goes there, then you can get a bus from Victoria and back. We stayed for a month in Victoria in November 2008 and found many walks both taking the country route and out to the sea side i.e. via the Marsalforn Road etc.

Red
You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality Back to top
  • Mark post as unread
  • centralad 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
Red............Unless you live in Sannat, where the last bus of the day from Victoria to Sannat is 20 minutes to midday !!!
Join British Expat on Facebook!
You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality Back to top
  • Mark post as unread
  • gozomark 
  • Site Admin 
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
Centralad, not if you wait until 17:15, however, given its onky a 20 minute walk, it not really worth waiting Very Happy
http://www.gozo.gov.mt/showdoc.aspx?id=896&filesource=4&file=CAWLASANNATMUNXAR.htm

Code:
Mondays to Saturdays   
 Departure Arrival Arrival   Arrival  CAWLA - SANNAT - MUNXAR
 Victoria     Sannat Munxar Victoria  BUS NO: 50 - 51
  7.15         7.22      7.30    7.36   
  9.00         9.07      9.12    9.18   
 10.00         10.07    10.15    10.21   
 11.45         11.52    11.57    12.03   
 17.15         17.22    17.27          -
  • Mark post as unread
  • B1K3R 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
  •  
As gozomark mentioned in a previous post, anywhere in Gozo is good really and very quite, unless its on a main road or very close to town squares/bars.

So, you have to look a bit around and find a area which feels good for you Wink

Regarding transport, Gozo is very small. For example, it used to take me 15 minutes to walk from Victoria to Sannat. Most of the times I used to get lifts too Wink Most people know each other here. I used to hate the buses in gozo, non enough routes and frequency, but one would expect this on such a small island with little demand Wink

Cheers
B1K3R
Join British Expat on Facebook!
  • Mark post as unread
  • Mr Lally 
  • Supporter 
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
sorry to reopen this thread, but I didn't want to start a new one...

Having stayed in Xaghra when we visited, we decided Victoria to be more appropriate as it had a little bit more going on.

I was just wondering if anyone knew if there's a big difference in rental prices between the old town and the newer areas? Also, does anyone know if there's any areas of Victoria which should be avoided?

Although I'm only just over the wrong side of thirty, my favourite way to spend my time is sitting outside a cafe watching my daughter harass passing folks, whilst I enjoy a good rolled cigarette and a nice coffee. It seems that's something I share with the old men of Gozo, from what I experienced.
Missing your local paper back 'home'? British Newspapers online
  • Mark post as unread
  • mfckev 
  • Supporter 
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
  •  
Hi mr laly as in an earlier post we have looked at property in all areas on Gozo.We have taken out a long lease on a house in the old town Victoria moving lock stock and barrel in July.We looked at a wide range of property options including extremley reasonable to high end of budget We feel its all down to personal choice as all areas have different things to offer hope this helps ps enjoy the cinema but you need 3 people to show movie
Subscribers of British Expat can include a link to their own website here.
  • Mark post as unread
  • Mr Lally 
  • Supporter 
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
Hello mfckev

Good luck with your move, you'll have to let me know how you get on when you get there. I loved Victoria on the visits we made, even if it was hard to find a good pint of Guiness!

We prefer the old town, but aren't sure if it's going to be outside of our budget. Having lived in many port towns in England, I doubt there's any areas in Gozo that would make me nervous...unless there's any parts of Victoria that suffer from a large invasion of spiders each year?!
Subscribers of British Expat can include a link to their own website here.
  • Mark post as unread
  • mfckev 
  • Supporter 
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
  •  
Thanks will let you no how it goes as for the guiness im aiming to find real ale
If you're going to buy or book online, please help this site by using our affiliate links.
  • Mark post as unread
  • gozomark 
  • Site Admin 
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
mfckev wrote: im aiming to find real ale

You will find a few real ales in bottles, plus some decent Belgium and German proper beers - wheat beers, dubbels, triples - not many, but a lot more compared to pre EU

Belgian/German/UK beer (not lager...)
http://www.britishexpat.com/expatforum/malta/viewtopic.php?t=8399
  • Mark post as unread
  • mfckev 
  • Supporter 
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
  •  
Thanks Mark Very Happy
Premium members have access to private boards and the private messaging system.
Need forex? UKForex Foreign Exchange Transfers
Top-selling Amazon paperbacks
Adverts
  • All information, postings etc are copyright of British Expat Ltd © 2000-2014 or of the original author, and may not be reproduced elsewhere without written permission of the copyright holder.