• You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality
  • You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality
  • Mark post as unread
  • pumabob 
  • Supporter 
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
Quote:
So by not being baptised, they can't obtain the rest.

Can't do confession either, as far as I know.
Like Stroppy says a lot depends on the local parish priest, etc.

My mum and her sister (RC) married 2 brothers (P) but any children were to be brought up RC, which we were. When my uncle, then my dad died they were both buried in the local chapel. The priest joked that if any more protestants got let in he would need a bigger graveyard Laughing

Neither of my boys have been baptised, nor do they have an 'official' religion. So far this hasn't caused any problems, but will wait to see what happens when they start a Maltese school, albeit private.
Premium members have access to private boards and the private messaging system.
You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality Back to top
  • Mark post as unread
  • gozomark 
  • Site Admin 
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
pumabob wrote:
Neither of my boys have been baptised, nor do they have an 'official' religion

Will they accept Jedi-ism or Church of the Flying Spagetti Monster (pastfarianism) ? The Maltese constitution describes all faiths other than RC as cults, so maybe they do Very Happy
Show your support for Gozo SPCA by joining them on Facebook
You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality Back to top
  • Mark post as unread
  • loveday 
  • Supporter 
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
I'm so glad I thought of this issue at this stage when we've got plenty of time to sort it out - what a horrible thought that my child would be excluded from registration! Thank you again, Stroppy knickers for all your insight - we will most definitely be getting ourselves married ASAP

(..ahem, as soon as he gets his 12-year-separation turned into a divorce....um, will anyone necessarily know he has been divorced before we got married??!!)
Subscribers of British Expat can include a link to their own website here.
You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality Back to top
  • Mark post as unread
  • pumabob 
  • Supporter 
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
If you can produce your marriage certificate, doubt if anyone will care about the previous history and if they do, it's really none of their business!
Read the British newspapers online!
  • Mark post as unread
  • stroppy knickers 
  • Supporter 
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
loveday wrote:

(..ahem, as soon as he gets his 12-year-separation turned into a divorce....um, will anyone necessarily know he has been divorced before we got married??!!)

That won't matter Smile Over here it's perfectly legal and moral for a marriage to have ended in divorce as long as both the marriage and subsequent divorce took place overseas... funny old thing, isn't it ? lol

My hubby and I are both on our 2nd (and final) marriages, but as both of our 1st marriages were in the UK, the current marriage is the only one they care about.. but we neither of us can go to confession or take the communion because we weren't married in church, but if we had kids .. (arghhh).... they WOULD be accepted at both because we are married.. bah!

Religion.. pfft!
thunder thighs and bingo wings are todays speciality - get yours now! call 0800make-mine-a-large-one.
You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality You will need to login, register or even subscribe to enable this functionality Back to top
  • Mark post as unread
  • loveday 
  • Supporter 
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
You've been really ace stroppy! will now get his divorce proceedings ticking along ASAP and buy a shabby frock for the big day!! x
Premium members have access to private boards and the private messaging system.
  • Mark post as unread
  • pumabob 
  • Supporter 
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
Quote:
and buy a shabby frock for the big day!!

Well, that's him sorted...

just make sure you get a stunning gown to show him up Wink Laughing
Subscribers of British Expat can include a link to their own website here.
  • Mark post as unread
  • loveday 
  • Supporter 
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
Cracking up Cracking up Cracking up Cracking up Cracking up Cracking up Cracking up Cracking up Cracking up Cracking up Cracking up Cracking up
Read the British newspapers online!
  • Mark post as unread
  • Rusiannefx 
  •  
  • Subscribe to BE Today 
Ok, I have to put my 2 cents in this one.
I am a single mother and had my first son at 19, he was baptized at the church in Senglea. The priest knew that I was unmarried.
Because of the anti abortion laws in Malta there are hundreds of single mothers and children born out of wedlock.....all of the babies I know went on to be baptized, have holy communion etc.
I do not think that married or not has anything to do with it, unless there is a bitter married mother who is spreading rumours (which happens worldwide!!!)

If ANYONE is not baptized into the catholic faith (at any age) then they are not permitted to receive communion and obviously the children are not able to have the Holy Communion ceremony because they are not Catholic. Yes, Catholicism is a serious and traditional religion and Malta is CATHOLIC, and for goodness sake, anyone who believes in a different denomination please reconsider moving to Malta if you can't deal with it in your face everywhere you go. But please don't get there and be surprised and then complain. So, if you want your child to join in the fun holy communion celebrations, go get them baptized...I am sure by the end of their schooling in a RC school they will be more catholic than you can imagine.
As for religious descrimination....when in Rome, people...I am not a Muslim so moving to a intensely Muslim country is not on my to do list. Besides, it's all part of the beautiful culture of these places.
Oh AND my best friend in Malta has 2 sons out of wedlock and is living in a lesbian relationship....guess what, they are Catholic and have never had any problems.
Fixing up a house for sale? HouseWiz can help!
Need forex? UKForex Foreign Exchange Transfers
Our eBooks
Adverts
  • All information, postings etc are copyright of British Expat Ltd © 2000-2014 or of the original author, and may not be reproduced elsewhere without written permission of the copyright holder.