It is currently Thu 18 Jul 2019 05:44 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about New Zealand – Quick Quiz
    New Zealand has its own distinct character which places it out on its own in more than a geographical sense. How much do you know about these fascinating islands?

Malta - other

The Malta place name pronunciation thread

Post here only if your question doesn't belong anywhere else. Don't post loads of questions all in one message - that would defeat the point of the forums and such posts will be deleted (don't feel embarrassed if you have 5 or 6 questions - you're welcome to ask them in separate posts in the appropriate place). (NB - if you want to post about something not Malta-specific, then use the main British Expat Forum.)

Postby Francis Barnet » Sat 14 Nov 2009 09:37 GMT

So how should we pronounce Triq ?
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Francis Barnet
Supporter

Postby gozomark » Sat 14 Nov 2009 09:55 GMT

Tri as is Trick, with an almost silent q
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby gozomark » Sat 14 Nov 2009 09:58 GMT

Dave wrote:People from Gozo are called Gozitans. Is that pronounced "GOZ-i-tans" or "go-ZEE-tans"?

the former
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby Kay » Sat 14 Nov 2009 10:02 GMT

Ha ha! I won. :lol:
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby InMalta » Tue 5 Jan 2010 08:56 GMT

It took me a while to work out the pronunication of the popular television discussion show "Xarabank." I knew the word meant "bus" (the show being about the type of conversations you might hear on a bus) but a much better translation is "charabanc" because it is pronounced as shar-a-bang. Charabanc is a lovely old word -- mainly confined to old films or Coronation Street -- for a coach used for sightseeing.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
InMalta
Premium Member

Postby stuartd1 » Wed 6 Jan 2010 08:34 GMT

http://www.maltanetworkresources.com/pronounciation.html has some good guidance on Maltese pronounciation, but if you try http://www.maltanetworkresources.com/itineraries.html you get a very typical Maltese response!
Regards,Stuartd1
Posted by:
stuartd1
Supporter

Postby centralad » Wed 6 Jan 2010 09:44 GMT

Of all the British residents in Malta, I would guess that 95% speak very little, if any, Maltese. The attitude, rightly or wrongly, is why learn Maltese, as it appears that the Locals prefer foreigners to speak in English, as they can understand them better than if they try to converse in Maltese. The Maltese people do not appear to be offended if you do not try to speak Maltese.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
centralad
Free member

Postby Francis Barnet » Wed 6 Jan 2010 13:35 GMT

So how do you pronounce Cenc, as in ta Cenc ?

My Maltese friends who come to fish at Xemxija refer to their car as a Vauxall Chaucer
http://www.rainbowgrp.co.uk/assets/images/vehicle/Vauxhall%20Corsa.jpg

[Note from Site Admin - Sorry, Frank, but this photo's way over our image guidelines. It's too massive even for Kay's wide screen, let alone my 1280x1024 screen res, so I've changed it to a link. ;-) - Dave]

I wish I was in Malta, can't get out for snow here !

Frank
Posted by:
Francis Barnet
Supporter

Postby gozomark » Wed 6 Jan 2010 14:17 GMT

Cenc = Chench
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby drdolittle76 » Sat 26 Jan 2013 15:44 GMT

Paceville is Pache Ville

I think phonetically Paceville is "parchay villay"
At least that is how I heard a native say it recently.

:D
Posted by:
drdolittle76

Postby john07900 » Thu 31 Jan 2013 11:10 GMT

Anyone seen a portable electronic audio English - Maltese translator around? I can buy one for thousands of other languages but not for the one I want.

Nothing in the way off apps either.

Ar yoot
Posted by:
john07900
Supporter

Postby dp600 » Fri 1 Feb 2013 08:43 GMT

There is an app called Google Translate that may help.
Posted by:
dp600
Premium Member

Postby john07900 » Fri 1 Feb 2013 11:41 GMT

Many Thanks DP

Google Translate is excellent.

I have downloaded the app which will be tremendous if I can get it to translate Maltese in audio
Posted by:
john07900
Supporter

Postby cc7up » Tue 15 Jul 2014 10:57 GMT

Now i'm all genned up on how to pronounce maltese town names,I think i'll study 'Cornish' next.
Posted by:
cc7up

Postby Ghawdex » Sun 27 Jul 2014 15:30 GMT

Dave wrote:I wonder if anyone can help clear up a "Tom-ay-to"/"Tom-ah-to" argument Kay and I have been having? :lol:

People from Gozo are called Gozitans. Is that pronounced "GOZ-i-tans" or "go-ZEE-tans"?

Just Gozitans, as thats the English word for us ;) Its Għawdixin in Maltese, pronounced aw-dish-inn. Another one is Gozo itself, which is Għawdex in Maltese, pronounced aw-dish. :P
Posted by:
Ghawdex
Premium Member

Previous

Return to Malta - other