It is currently Sat 14 Dec 2019 03:42 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Slovakia – Quick Quiz
    To your average Briton, Slovakia is one of Europe's less well-known countries. Why not do something to change that sad state of affairs with our Quick Quiz?

Where to live in Malta or Gozo?

Ex-HM Forces living in Malta

Can't decide where on the islands to live? Find out more about the best and worst places here!

Postby gozomark » Tue 6 May 2008 22:10 GMT

most desirable places to live

that's a very open ended question :D - what do you consider desirable in a place to live ?

lively or quiet ?
town or countryside ?
house or flat ?
etc, etc
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby spinola » Tue 6 May 2008 22:50 GMT

1. Gozo or Qawra / Buggibba

2. Lively but not too lively in summer.........quiet in winter

3. Town or seaside

4. Long let

5. Flat (2 beds)
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
spinola
Free member

Postby gozomark » Wed 7 May 2008 05:54 GMT

taking Gozo only

"2. Lively but not too lively in summer.........quiet in winter"

Xlendi, Nadur, Xaghra would be my picks - long let isn't a problem anywhere in Gozo

Xlendi - seaside, lots of flats - certainly a big difference between Summer and Winter, but alot less busy than Marsalforn in the Summer

Nadur/Xaghra - 2 hilltop towns
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby spinola » Wed 7 May 2008 09:02 GMT

Thanks mark, we are in Malta at the end of June and again in September, so we will have a good look around then. 8)
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
spinola
Free member

Postby Kay » Wed 7 May 2008 10:15 GMT

kay.................. were you in RMP ?? Wink

No. What a despicable suggestion. You think I was a monkey? :lol: :twisted:

Ah, this thread has degenerated into anarchy. What else can you expect from Gonzo people. They're all so laid back - no discipline at all. :roll:
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Mr Kriss » Wed 7 May 2008 11:25 GMT

..is that speaking with your moderator cap on? You know, the one with the shiny peak pulled well down and a red cover :wink:
Chris :compucoffee:
Join the British Expat lending team at Kiva: http://www.kiva.org/team/britishexpatcom
Posted by:
Mr Kriss
Supporter

Postby dave dee » Wed 7 May 2008 12:12 GMT

I think I will keep hold of that ww2 hat, buy a big bag of egg shells to walk on and retreat to the beaches until October. :lol: Bye.
Posted by:
dave dee
Supporter

Postby compunism » Wed 7 May 2008 12:39 GMT

One of my good friends in Malta is an ex-Marine, and I know as far as American ex and active military/government personnel, they are there, I guess I am one. Several are married to locals. If you want to PM me I can give you some contact information for them, don't know what they can offer you though, theres no 'ex-armed forces' meet ups that I know of.
Posted by:
compunism
Free member

Postby Kay » Wed 7 May 2008 13:01 GMT

Compunism:
You can't receive or send PMs yet. RTFM!
(Please see the board at the top saying IMPORTANT, PLEASE READ...")

Meet ups? Great idea - we have a board especially for the purpose if anyone finds out about any. 8)

DeeVee:
I hope the "Bye" comment was a joke. I was just starting to get to like you. :twisted: This time will be different, please stay. Who sang that?

Mr Kriss:
Red hat? Isn't that something to do with Linux? Too technical for me. :wink:

I'm outa here. I don't feel appreciated any more.
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby dave dee » Wed 7 May 2008 16:10 GMT

Kay, You think I would go that easy, Just cheering them Gozo folk up for a while. The shops were shut till 4 o clock anyway so no eggshells. The lyrics don,t seem familiar though if it ever charted I will know it. :shock:
Posted by:
dave dee
Supporter

Postby spinola » Wed 7 May 2008 16:26 GMT

compunism.........am sure your ex-marine friend will remember Ghajn Tuffieha if he was ever stationed in Malta.

Sorry kay, I promise not to digress on this topic subject again :oops:
Posted by:
spinola
Free member

Postby gozomark » Wed 7 May 2008 17:30 GMT

I promise not to digress on this topic subject again - I don't :twisted:
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Wed 7 May 2008 19:06 GMT

Kay wrote: This time will be different, please stay. Who sang that?

For those who are at all interested, we've done the research. You can find out the results in this posting in the Music forum on the main board :twisted:
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby compunism » Thu 8 May 2008 08:16 GMT

RTFM? Wow, I haven't heard that acronym outside of Linux circles. Sorry for claiming to be able to receive PM's though, I will have to read the fine manual on British Expats...

Theres plenty of active duty around though (not so much on the grunt side though), and in a country like this it really doesn't have to be hidden so you shouldn't have any problems finding pals to share war stories with. I know there are A LOT of ex-Marines that work for a few companies on contracts out of Tangier in Valletta. These days I hear all the army guys hang out in Iraq and Afghanistan though :-P. I take my previous statement back, I guess you could say there are 'gatherings,' at least for the ones posted at the embassy. E-mail me and I can give you more detail, and maybe see you around, compunism (at) gmail.com.
Posted by:
compunism
Free member

Postby spinola » Sun 11 May 2008 21:02 GMT

Knowing that I / we were new posters to this forum, and that we indicated that we were interested in moving to Gozo. We did not have a welcoming
invitation from you for a drink / chat, when we are over in June 2008 ?

Would this be because you are afraid of competition from a good looking ex-HM forces guy who spent so much time, and money, in the bars / clubs in Valletta, Sliema, (st julians was then only an Army barracks), the Union Jack Club, Jack's bar at Sliema Creek, etc, etc, etc.

St Georges, St Andrews, and my barracks St Patricks, were home to sooo many soldiers. !!

Malta / Gozo ? During my 3 years there, I marched EVERY INCH of both Islands. Comino ? swam there long before it became a holiday makers paradise. Malta / Gozo / I love them.
Posted by:
spinola
Free member

PreviousNext

Return to Where to live in Malta or Gozo?