It is currently Sat 14 Dec 2019 03:42 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Slovakia – Quick Quiz
    To your average Briton, Slovakia is one of Europe's less well-known countries. Why not do something to change that sad state of affairs with our Quick Quiz?

Music

Earworms

A place to discuss music.

Earworms

Postby Dave » Thu 2 Dec 2004 19:10 GMT

I'm sure many of you will be used to the phenomenon where you get a tune stuck in your head and can't shake it out. Fine if it's something you like, a nightmare if it's something you actively hate.

My current one is "Street Life" by Roxy Music, which I heard for the first time in ages just a couple of days ago. I'd forgotten how much of an impact it made on me when it first came out - it's a classic!

Not all of mine are so great, though. Once it was "Long Haired Lover From Liverpool" by Little Jimmy Osmond. (Little? As far as I can recall he was a tubby little git... :evil: )
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Graeme » Thu 2 Dec 2004 20:28 GMT

Before I went out on patrol one evening I sat and watched Bambi with my youngest child. The song "Drip, drip drip little april showers" stuck in my mind for the rest of the night. It's hard to be a big tough policeman while inside you're going drip drip drip little april showers :oops:

Graeme
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Posted by:
Graeme
Site Admin

Postby SSue » Thu 2 Dec 2004 22:35 GMT

My earworm (never heard this term before :lol:) is called Fields Of Gold, and it's a beautiful haunting song, sung by the late Eva Cassidy. What makes it worse, is that it has been adopted as an ad for one of my shows on UKTV, so I hear it on a regular daily basis, so there's not much chance of me 'ousting the worm'. Thank God it's a song I love though.

SSue 8)
Sydney Sue - Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.
Read all about it! http://www.britishexpat.com/563.0.html
Posted by:
SSue
Supporter

Location: From Grimsby, Lincolnshire, to Sydney, then Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Postby Dave » Sat 4 Dec 2004 19:07 GMT

Graeme wrote:It's hard to be a big tough policeman while inside you're going drip drip drip little april showers :oops:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Perfect!
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Dwarfie » Thu 9 Dec 2004 20:17 GMT

Earworms (shudder)!!! I don’t even like them if it’s a good song.

My last earworm was not. There’s an 80’s revival going on in Germany and one of the worst things this has produced is a pseudo techno (stomp stomp stomp ) version of that song …

“call on me, call me
call on me, call me
call on meeeee,
I'm the same boy I used to be”

I didn’t like the 80’s version but this one is a nightmare. Oh no – I shouldn’t have thought of it … :vomit:
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Dwarfie
Free member

Postby Kay » Fri 18 May 2007 15:45 GMT

Thanks to Alan's posting on the Chinwags board, I've got the Pointer Sisters:

I'm so excited
And I just can't hide it
I'm about to lose control and I think I like it

stuck in my head.

Thanks, Alan, at least it's a lively song. :)
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Savannah_Alan » Sat 19 May 2007 05:55 GMT

You're welcome :lol:.

What's guaranteed to get an "earworm" is transcribing the melody, chords and lyrics of a song from the recorded music.
I've been doing this lately with the song "One Last Chance" by that great new English singer James Morrison.

That really is an earworm for me right now! Great song though.

Alan.
Don't forget, there's much going on at the main site: http://www.britishexpat.com
The Safe Scooter Riding blog. www.ScootSafely.com
Posted by:
Savannah_Alan
Supporter

Location: Dahlonega, Georgia, USA - Originally from Southend-On-Sea, Essex.

Postby justajester » Sat 19 May 2007 16:54 GMT

The one that is currently stuck in my head is that German song about the ninety red balloons; it has also been used as an ad on tv, although not so much recently. (thank goodness)
Amor animi arbitrio sumitur, non punitor
Posted by:
justajester
Supporter

Postby SSue » Sun 20 May 2007 05:52 GMT

"Put your sweet lips a little closer to the phone, lets pretend that we're together, all alone........" sung by the late great Jim Reeves, of course.

I went to an Isla Grant concert last night, which was great. Her husband Al Grant is a dead ringer (in voice only) for Jim, and I've been singing this ever since.
Sydney Sue - Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.
Read all about it! http://www.britishexpat.com/563.0.html
Posted by:
SSue
Supporter

Location: From Grimsby, Lincolnshire, to Sydney, then Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Postby ruggie » Tue 22 May 2007 19:52 GMT

Being too lazy to change the CD in my car for several weeks is probably responsible for some of my earworms. Edith Piaf's 'Padam, Padam' is the current one...
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby dave dee » Sat 6 Sep 2008 18:45 GMT

Heard this one a few days ago on capital gold and it wont leave me alone.
Day trip to Bangor by Fiddlers Dram or is that damm! :lol:
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
dave dee
Supporter

Postby gozomark » Sat 6 Sep 2008 21:28 GMT

justajester2007 wrote:The one that is currently stuck in my head is that German song about the ninety red balloons; it has also been used as an ad on tv, although not so much recently. (thank goodness)

do you mean 99 red balloons by Nena ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14IRDDnEPR4
or even 99 luftballons, her orginal in German
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQYQTFud ... re=related
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Return to Music