Coming to Work in Sydney - Advice would be much appreciated.

Post here about healthcare in Australia. (NB - postings about visa-related medical issues belong on the "Visas/medicals" forum.)

Coming to Work in Sydney - Advice would be much appreciated.

Postby gemini13 » Fri 19 Aug 2005 12:25

Hi Everyone,

I am a Bristish Citizen and will be coming to Sydney to work from the beginning of Septemeber. I will be bringing my family with me. My wife happens to be 20 weeks Pregnant and it is most likely that she will give birth in Australia.

Do I have to make special medical arrangements before I travel?
Will I have to pay for the Birth and her time in Hospital services?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Gem
gemini13

Postby SSue » Sun 21 Aug 2005 02:28

Hi Gem, welcome to BE.

As your wife is already pregnant, there's no way that you can now cover the costs of the birth etc with private health cover. The insurance must be taken out before pregnancy occurs.

A normal birth (no complications) costs around five thousand dollars in a private hospital. Here's some reading for you that explains the different options available, and what to expect.

http://www.mhcs.health.nsw.gov.au/healt ... /6415.html

I think that as long as her doctor considers that she's fit to fly, then all the other arrangements can be made once you reach Sydney. You will obviously want to register with a doctor and hospital in the area that you live in, which might not be decided yet.

Best wishes,

SSue 8)
Sydney Sue - Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.
Read all about it! http://www.britishexpat.com/563.0.html
SSue
Supporter

Location: From Grimsby, Lincolnshire, to Sydney, then Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Postby ironmaggi » Sat 22 Oct 2005 10:26

Hi Gem
How's it all going? have you and your wife settled in? I'd be really grateful for any information you have as we too are headed for Sydney in the New year and I'll be at the same stage as your wife! Did you have to pay for everything? I'm a bit gutted that I've paid all this tax in the UK and then won't get anything back at all....but I don't fancy staying here on my own and travelling with a small baby!!!
ironmaggi

Return to Health issues