Medical care for babies on tourist visa

Post here about healthcare in Australia. (NB - postings about visa-related medical issues belong on the "Visas/medicals" forum.)

Medical care for babies on tourist visa

Postby babybello » Sun 18 Nov 2007 12:28

I'm thinking of going to Australia with my husband (who needs to be there another year before getting citizenship) and our 3 month old baby. The baby and I would probably have to get a tourist visa or I might apply for a one year working visa. Does anyone know what would happen with regards to medical care for us? The baby will miss some vaccinations from the UK, could we get those done in Australia under medicare? Would we be covered under Medicare or would we have to get private health care? If so, does anyone have any tips of good providers? Thanks,

Emma
babybello
Free member

Postby SSue » Sun 18 Nov 2007 22:23

No, neither you or your baby will be covered under medicare. You would certainly need to have good health insurance, and even then this may not cover your babies injections, you would need to find out exactly what they will cover you for. They usually only cover accidental or sudden onset illnesses.

"Medical services are excellent, but can be very expensive, so travellers should ensure that they have adequate insurance. Australia has a reciprocal health agreement with the United Kingdom providing for free hospital emergency medical treatment; proof of UK residence is required."

SSue 8)
Sydney Sue - Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.
Read all about it! http://www.britishexpat.com/563.0.html
SSue
Supporter

Location: From Grimsby, Lincolnshire, to Sydney, then Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Postby babybello » Mon 19 Nov 2007 19:07

Thanks for your reply. Do you know any private providers you can recommend? I have heard that there is a reciprocal agreement between the UK and Australia so that child vaccinations are free but I suppose that is only if you have the relevant visa.
babybello
Free member

Postby babybello » Mon 19 Nov 2007 19:15

I was also wondering if our baby will be covered by Medicare because my husband has a permanent residency visa. I know I wouldn't be but would the baby?

Emma
babybello
Free member

Postby SSue » Mon 19 Nov 2007 21:59

No, sorry it's against our rules to recommend private companies, and anyway you would need to shop around for the best deal/price for your situation.

I'm not qualified to answer your first question - your husband could find this out easily enough, by investigating his visa allowances.

Best wishes,

SSue 8)
Sydney Sue - Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.
Read all about it! http://www.britishexpat.com/563.0.html
SSue
Supporter

Location: From Grimsby, Lincolnshire, to Sydney, then Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Return to Health issues