Hello & Career Information !!

...and in these threads too. But you'll have to dig out the nuggets yourself! These are legacy threads from before the latest major BE revamp which are just too daunting to upgrade!

Hello & Career Information !!

Postby jd1972 » Fri 26 Jan 2007 14:24

Hi Folks,

Firstly, thanks to everyone who’s posted so far, I’ve soaked up more information than I could imagine at this point. :D

I’m joining the forums at a very early stage, as my wife and I are discussing the possibility of a life changing move to Australia. At this moment we are 100% certain that we want to take our 2 year old wee girl out of cold, damp Scotland, to a new, exciting country and bring her up in a way we never could have imagined for ourselves.

We are at the stage where we are about to start the application process. We’re well aware that it will probably take up to 2 years (If we’re accepted).

I have a couple of wee questions to be going on with first. My wife will be the main applicant as she is younger and has a degree and work experience (Only 3 years younger I may add! :wink: )……… I have a lot of work experience in the IT sector but no formal degree, I would have no worries about getting something. The question is that my wife has a University Degree in Interior and Environmental design, but is now studying a Diploma in Community Education…….working in the voluntary sector…….. the Types of jobs in the ‘Community Education Sector’ are council based and there appears to be quite a lot of here……however we haven’t seen vary many openings for this type of job, certainly in the Brisbane area.

Will the fact that my wifes degree doesn’t have any bearing on what she wants to do as a career have anything to do with the application process?….. and is this type of career directed by councils or the health service in Oz ?

Would we be better looking at bigger cities like Sydney or Melbourne, as working with the community or voluntary sector may be more developed in larger cities? We've just been looking around the Brisbane area as we have our hearts set on the lifestyle. 8)

Many thanks, and I hope to keep you all informed of my progress.

John
jd1972

Postby Kay » Sat 27 Jan 2007 16:02

Hi John

Welcome to BE and thanks for telling us a bit about yourself.

When it comes to the stage of your needing more specific information about the various issues of moving to Aus, please post separate questions on the appropriate boards. Eg, questions about work on the work-related board etc. It helps us to keep the place in order and it helps others coming after to find the info they're looking for.

Yep, Scotland is beautiful but the climate leaves a bit to be desired. :D

Cheers

Kay
(A Teuchter)
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Kay
Site Admin

Postby SSue » Sun 28 Jan 2007 03:44

Hi John,

Maybe this link will be of some help to you, although it's NSW, you may be able to get some leads from it.

http://www.bace.nsw.gov.au/

Best wishes,

SSue 8)
Sydney Sue - Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.
Read all about it! http://www.britishexpat.com/563.0.html
SSue
Supporter

Location: From Grimsby, Lincolnshire, to Sydney, then Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Postby jd1972 » Mon 29 Jan 2007 20:18

Very many thanks for the info..... much appreciated

Sorry about posting it in the wrong place...... :oops: :P

All the best
John
jd1972

Return to There's gold in them thar hills