Shipping tools

All about the practicalities of physically moving to NZ.

Shipping tools

Postby Richie » Sat 25 Sep 2004 21:01

Hi

I'm going to need my tools quite soon after arriving in NZ and have been thinking about airfreight, i'm not sure of weights as yet, but does anyone have any suggestions as to who to use/how to go about it.
Richie
Free member

Postby Carrington » Sun 26 Sep 2004 02:01

Sometimes it works out cheaper if you bring freight with you as cargo on the plane...worth checking out anyway.
Do you know anybody in NZ Richie? If so, where?
Carrington
Free member

Postby Richie » Sun 26 Sep 2004 21:22

Bringing the tools as luggage is definately a worthwhile option provided I get a job offer before we leave, if not and we end up coming on a holiday visa and then looking for work then I wont have that choice, so was wondering how i'd send them if I dont get that important job offer.

We have friends in Auckland, Wellington and BOP, TBH we'll be happy to live anywhere I can find work on the North island, it's all amazing country to me, prefer to live on the North Island as I'm not too good with the cold in winter.
Hoping to be out there by Dec/Jan at the latest.

Cheers Carrington for your help.
Richie
Free member

Postby Carrington » Mon 27 Sep 2004 00:43

The weather and climate changes dramatically in different areas Richie - the central north island is freezing during the winter! Check out the weather sites before you choose....here in New Plymouth we don't get snow on the ground but it can be chilly because of the proximity of Mount Taranaki - it gets covered in snow and when the wind comes from that direction - it's cold!
I am sure if you contacted the Master Builders Assoc. they could help with a job to come to....worth a try anyway.
Carrington
Free member

Postby Richie » Tue 28 Sep 2004 20:29

Thanks for the info Carrington, we had been thinking maybe Northland, don't mind a bit of rain so long as we don't freeze :lol: been looking at Dargaville, Keri Keri and Whangarei, i've got a list of builders off the internet and i'm just going to email a few to see if I can get any interest.
Richie
Free member

Postby Carrington » Wed 29 Sep 2004 06:35

Hope you get some positive replies - Northland is really beautiful, keep in touch, let us know how you get on.
Carrington
Free member

Postby Richie » Wed 29 Sep 2004 11:39

Carrington, one more thing, would you be able to find out what the average wage for a Chippie is in Northland?, no worries if you can't, just wondering?
Cheers
Richie
Free member

Postby Carrington » Thu 30 Sep 2004 05:07

Tried to get through to the Builders Trade Union for this info but they dont have emails. I will get in touch with local builders for some idea - there are generally set wages here for a number of jobs, also a minimum wage per hour for everybody. It will not of course, be anything like the British hourly rate because the cost of living here is different - I will check out some sites for you to browse through and let you know asap.
Carrington
Free member

Postby Richie » Sat 02 Oct 2004 17:40

Carrington wrote:Tried to get through to the Builders Trade Union for this info but they dont have emails. I will get in touch with local builders for some idea - there are generally set wages here for a number of jobs, also a minimum wage per hour for everybody. It will not of course, be anything like the British hourly rate because the cost of living here is different - I will check out some sites for you to browse through and let you know asap.

Any info you find would be helpful, I realise the wage will be unlike the British one but hopeful it's similar in relative terms. Thanks for your help Carrington
Richie
Free member

Postby Carrington » Sun 03 Oct 2004 03:01

Well, the figure that seems to be average is around $40,000 per year - nobody seems keen on telling me what they pay! Now this would also depend on your age, skills and experience of course. Self employed would get more too. You would probably find out a more accurate figure by contacting builders who are advertising jobs - like the ones you have contacted already. It might be worth your while also checking out other areas like Tauranga which is a warmer climate and a very nice place to live - I havent been there but know people who have. Will give you more info as soon as I can.
Carrington
Free member

Postby Carrington » Fri 22 Oct 2004 02:48

How are things - just heard about a company who will helpyou find an area which will suit you plus a home...Always ready to help here....
www.propertynz.net. - UK.
Carrington
Free member

Postby Carrington » Thu 30 Dec 2004 03:03

How are things going your end Richie? Please let us know what is happening and if you need any more information or advice. Might be worthwhile checking out the more recen t threads on this NZ boards as there is some new info that could be of use to you. Happy New Year --
Carrington
Free member

Postby cornerofsilence » Fri 31 Dec 2004 06:44

Carrington I have tried the site you mention above but cannot access it!
cornerofsilence
Free member

Postby casey » Fri 31 Dec 2004 07:44

cornerofsilence, try this link: http://www.propertynz.net/
casey

joiners

Postby jkbertie » Sat 26 Mar 2005 13:02

Dear Richie,

My husband is a joiner too, and we're just beginning the emigration process, how have you found the whole process so far? We are told there are shortages of joiners, but have you had a job offer yet?
FACT FINDERS
jkbertie
Free member

Next

Return to Moving to New Zealand