[Title edited: Temp accommodation in Auckland]

All about the practicalities of physically moving to NZ.

[Title edited: Temp accommodation in Auckland]

Postby cornerofsilence » Thu 21 Apr 2005 16:01

Can anyone give us some advice where to stay when we first arrive in Auckland we want to find somewhere decent to stay for the first 2 days
cornerofsilence
Free member

Postby harlowfamily » Tue 26 Apr 2005 10:36

Hi Susan
Don't make the mistake we made...I booked a motel via internet before we came over. It sounded great but it was a horrible place in Mangere - not far from airport. I hadn't realised Auckland was so spread out and it didn't live up to my expectations. We inmmedietly checked out and went into the city and stayed at a hotel in Queen St. This was ideal as we could walk around and explore and use it as a base whilst we got over jet lag.
Not sure if I'm allowed to name hotel ? Can the watchdog person let me know if I'm allowed please and I'll happlily recommend it ?
Alison
harlowfamily
Free member

Postby cornerofsilence » Tue 26 Apr 2005 10:52

Many thanks you could send me the name off group
susan@aircool.me.uk

Once again thank you for your help
cornerofsilence
Free member

Postby harlowfamily » Sat 30 Apr 2005 21:26

Hi Susan
Not sure if we're allowed to recommend places but watchdog person hasn't said either way so here goes...
We ended up staying in the Airedale which is a small Scenic Circle hotel. Not too expensive and based at the corner of Queen St / Airedale St ? so in main shopping St but at quiter end. We were able to walk around Auckland and see the Viaduct / museum etc without having to hire a car or take taxis.
There are loads of hotels though and range in price / quality. We didn't know how spread the city was though and fisrtly booked a shoddy motel miles from anywhere except the airport.
Hope this helps
Alison
harlowfamily
Free member

Return to Moving to New Zealand