Hi Newbe in France and bewildered

Here's a place to talk about how to choose an area in France which will suit you.

Hi Newbe in France and bewildered

Postby JohnSharon » Mon 11 Apr 2011 15:00

Hello peeps I will keep this short as the wife says I can talk the hind leg off a Herd of Donkeys!!

The move to France, was first offered to my wife about three years ago by her current employer, due to ill health on my part and her daughter just starting College we said thanks but no thanks.

Well three years later and here we are, my wife's employers (the Manager of the French Hub) asked her to come over to sort out a multitude of problems with bits and bobs (pc related) oh and bring John the flights are paid.

Well you know what happened a Meal on the front at Antibes hot sun and an awful lot of wine (I don't drink) and suddenly the wife has agreed to move out, In the morning it still seemed a good idea, all be it through blurred eyes!!

We were given our lift to the Office, chucked a set of car keys and told "you have the remaining three days to open a bank account and find a place to live"

Fortunately a very petite girl from the office accompanied us to the bank as although English was spoke no one was sure if the people would be available, one bank account with 10e in it later, with the address of the company apartment in Antibes given as the current address.

Onto house finding, the same girl stayed with us, I asked if I could drive as her driving was scaring me silly, its ok when you get everything singing on the same sheet LOL, no luck.

The next day we were to look at an apartment in Grasse although the requirements were we need some grass area for our totally stupid dog and I required some form of garage, for my tools hobbies keeping out of the wife's way etc.

The apartment although nice wasn't any good, off to our next stop St Cezaire sur Siagne, well we hit gold as we fell out of the car there was the roughest three story house I think I certainly had ever seen, a Garage door to the front and rear so you could drive straight through, up a twisting stone staircase to the dining room and kitchen diner, then up more stairs to the two beds one bath and loo. The decoration was superb, and a large garden for the Dawg AND as for the views WOW cannot explain the beauty

We took it.

We have been here seven months, in which I have returned to the uk twice to drive our vehicles down 1200miles at a go, one was my wife's a Peugeot 206 HDi diesel very economical and the second one was mine a Range Rover P38 4.0 thank god it also runs on gas.

There is much more to the story, like we have learnt not to hurry the Frence etc etc
JohnSharon
Free member

Postby ruggie » Mon 11 Apr 2011 16:17

Welcome to France, John (and wife). Sounds as if you have what it takes to survive. If you like writing longer pieces, offer one to Kay for the main BE site. If she doesn't want it (or if you want to write more stories) I'm always looking for new contributors to my own blog about France.
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
ruggie
Supporter

Postby JohnSharon » Mon 11 Apr 2011 17:08

OK no worries, the wife says if we wrote about the experience it would come under fiction as people just would not believe it :?
JohnSharon
Free member

Postby Kay » Tue 12 Apr 2011 07:08

We have published several such articles of 'fiction'. You can see some of them in our Malta Diaries section.

http://britishexpat.com/category/europe ... a-diaries/

If you'd like to do similar for France, I'd be delighted to publish it.
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Kay
Site Admin

Postby JohnSharon » Tue 12 Apr 2011 07:29

Hi
I will start writing using word, of which I thank for spell check and my Grammar is awfull but you will get the gist!! how we ever got to France at all!!!! then copy and paste the, i was going to say finished article but we are finding that as many things are in France "Not quite finished"
JohnSharon
Free member

Postby ruggie » Tue 12 Apr 2011 20:20

Go for it, John!
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
ruggie
Supporter

Return to Choosing an area