Insuring a UK car in France

All questions relating to cars and driving in France go here.

Insuring a UK car in France

Postby jackthelad » Mon 09 Jan 2006 16:49

Hi all

I have a UK registered car in France and the MOT has run out - in order for my insurance to be valid I should have a valid test certificate but UK insures will not accept a CT (Control Technique) from France. I do not want to export it as this may only be a temporary position.

I have heard that you can insure UK cars in France on UK plates and wondered if anyone can guide me to a good english speaking broker or else is there a better of doing this (on the web for instance).

This is getting pretty urgent as the MOT ran out a few months ago (opps) and so the insurance is not really valid. :oops:

Help from anyone wouuld be greatly appreciated

Cheers all
jackthelad
Free member

Postby le pessay » Fri 13 Jan 2006 22:02

Why not register the car in france. Your local post office will tell you the prefecture to deal with. You need a control tecnique , reg doc and passport. Alternatively try Karen in Chamonix0033 04 50 55 82 76. French insurers used to be happy to insure uk reg cars but are not so happy about it now so re registering might be the best idea. Hope this helps.
le pessay

Postby jackthelad » Sat 14 Jan 2006 20:07

Thanks for that iwill try her - i dont want to go through the hassle of reregistering the car as it is not a permanant move and the car does go back to the uk occassionally so really all i need is insurance and the control for france any other ideas gratefully requested

cheers all
jackthelad
Free member

Postby Victor » Sun 15 Jan 2006 06:54

Take the car back to the Uk and lay it up until you return to the UK. Buy and old banger for France.

BTW, Why do you has 2 treads with the same question?
Victor - http://www.banitsa.eu
Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, "Where have I gone wrong?"
Then a voice says to me, "This is going to take more than one night."
Victor
Free member

Postby ruggie » Tue 17 Jan 2006 08:15

Jack, I'm locking this thread because it's the shorter of the two. Please conyinue the discussion on the other car insurance thread.
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
ruggie
Supporter

Return to Cars/Driving in France