Re-registering French car bought in UK

All questions relating to cars and driving in France go here.

Re-registering French car bought in UK

Postby ucaphcw » Thu 18 Jun 2009 10:38

Hi, I appear to have made a big mistake and I was wondering if anyone else had been in the same circumstances and managed to sort it all out. I bought a french registered car in the UK from a dealership who'd bought it from a guy who had been living in France. This means the car was never registered in the UK and i have the old carte grise. I tried to register the car at my Prefecture with the dealership details on the certificat de cession, but because this name didn't match that on the carte grise they refused to process my registration saying the car could be stolen. Has anyone else bought a french car in the UK and then reregistered it in France? I have a spare certificat de cession onto which I could fill out the old owners details so that it would match the carte grise, but presumably this would be illegal?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Many thanks
Helen
ucaphcw

Postby ruggie » Sat 25 Jul 2009 18:22

Have you spoken to the dealer? I suspect that he should have formally imported the car into the UK, but maybe he is allowed to fill in the French forms taking over ownership, to get his details onto the carte grise.

If your French isn't up to it, take someone with you to the Prefecture to discuss your options.
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
ruggie
Supporter

Return to Cars/Driving in France