The Devil is in the detail. [standard of living]

No, really... it does!
But does it matter more in Malta than at home?

NO ADVERTISING - financial services adverts belong in our classifieds section. Get-rich-quick schemes belong in the trash.

The Devil is in the detail. [standard of living]

Postby karlhutchinson » Wed 25 May 2005 11:28

Hi, After a number of holidays etc and being truly fed up with "Little" Britain (the country not the programme) both I and my wife have decided to bail out and relocate to Malta before the Chav's fully take over.

I am a 49 year old ex-police having been retired early after a few people took exception to my living and injured me in the process of trying to kill me. So I carry a few injuries etc but no rare diseases and I don't need much in the way of medical care. A Hop Leaf will do!

My pension meets the residency criteria (LM15000 per annum) and we can buy outright meeting the house buying criteria (LM30,000 apartments, LM50,000 houses).

So the first question is what sort of lifestyle will my pension allow us. Being a tourist you tend to ignore the day to day living costs and we don't intend a 50 year holiday whooping it up.

We would want to run a car, communications, phone, cable TV, broadband, reasonable utilities and don't want to eat out every night of the week. We don't expect a life of luxury and we would far rather live with and amoungst the Maltese. I've never been one for moving Bognor Regis into the sun. I've got nothing against ex-pats at all but from our more recent travels we see we are not exactly getting a good name for ourselves.

The second question is as always concerning work. <and has been split on revamp to the Working in Malta board - potential opportunities in IT --- Tim>

Lastly I have come accross a few agencies which off relocation assistance, has anyone used any of these and if sodid they smooth out the offcialdom. If anyone can shed light on any of this I would be eternally grateful.
karlhutchinson

Postby oceangoing » Mon 11 Jul 2005 00:14

Can't answer the question about IT job markets, but on living expenses our estimate (we're moving over in October) is that we can pretty much halve our expenses. Regarding bills, we were advised around GBP 9 per person per month should cover them. Broadband bills are similar to the UK, I think, though for a slower connection (no big surprise). No council tax, and if you become a resident, only 15% tax. [be careful about permanent residency - see the detailed posts on the Residency board --- Tim]

On our latest trip, a nice meal for two in a restaurant (starter, main course, salad, half a bottle of wine) was about Lm 10-15 - cooking this at home is probably half that again, or less.

I don't know if you'll want a mortgage for your house - the current rate is 4.75% and you can get up to 90% of the buying price.

Hope this helps a little. Easiest probably to book a trip for a week or fortnight and talk to lots of people. Estate agents are very helpful over there and will give advice also on things other than property. :)

atb

oceangoing
oceangoing
Free member

Return to Money matters