opening a bank account

No, really... it does!
But does it matter more in Malta than at home?

NO ADVERTISING - financial services adverts belong in our classifieds section. Get-rich-quick schemes belong in the trash.

opening a bank account

Postby movingon » Tue 08 Aug 2006 14:11

What sort of id would i need to open a bank account? What sort of checks do they do? Do they check my uk credit scoring and ask my bank for a reference?
Thanks
movingon

Postby peterj » Wed 23 Aug 2006 18:37

I emailed all the retail banks (4 or 5) from Australia before going, and the two who replied both had similar requirements. These included a reference from your overseas bank.

I set this in motion (23rd May) about 6 weeks before I left home , and had to sign some papers at my local branch in Australia as part of the process. I left Australia comfortable in the knowledge that everything was in hand.

Unfortunately my Australian bank lost all the paperwork in their internal mail, which I only found out 2 weeks after reaching Malta. I had to start the process all over again. A month later I'm still waiting for the bloody Aussies to do their bit and return it.

The Maltese end has been completed, and all they needed was a Maltese address (no proof of required) and a passport.

Meantime, I'm just using my Aussie debit card to draw mL from cash machines, and at least the rate isn't too bad.
peterj
Free member

Postby costablanca » Tue 05 Sep 2006 17:08

We e-mailed HSBC Malta. They were very efficient and dealt with us by e mail and post. Yes, they have to do all the checks you mention, but it didn't take too long and they posted us our cash cards, cheque book with pin numbers etc just like in the UK in the normal way.

I would recommend e-mailing paulettepsaila@hsbc.com

She will be more than happy to answer any questions - most helpful.
costablanca
Free member

Malta banks

Postby Moodyblue » Mon 05 Mar 2007 17:00

I would recommend APS bank if you want a mortgage in Malta. Their interest rate is typically slightly less than HSBC and if you pay off your mortgage early (which I intend to do), HSBC charge 3% penalty fee whilst APS do not charge anything. Also, HSBC charge for receiving money to your account in Malta, whereas APS do not!!
The World is Fine as Seen through Wine
Moodyblue
Free member

Return to Money matters