NI - Malta or UK ?

No, really... it does!
But does it matter more in Malta than at home?

NO ADVERTISING - financial services adverts belong in our classifieds section. Get-rich-quick schemes belong in the trash.

NI - Malta or UK ?

Postby Dud » Fri 03 Nov 2006 09:45

This is my first posting so if Im in the wrong place I apologise but would appreciate if I can be pointed in the right direction.

Having moved to Malta to be with my partner (Maltese national) I was fortunate that my UK employer retained my services. Therefore, Im emloyed and paid directly from the UK (into my Maltese bank account in LM). My company has no office in Malta (although has a sister company which is not my employer), therefore has no P number and cannot make payments in Malta.

The UK authorities advise me they cannot accept NI contributions from myself or my employer other than voluntary ones myself (which i intend to make).

The Maltese authorities state that my personal NI must be paid in the UK where the salary generates from in accordance with EU regulations. The UK dissagree with this by stating that is a situation for employees who leave the UK on a temporary basis, whereas mine is intended to be permenant.

Tax is clearer in that I must be taxed locally according to the Maltese system.

I have flexible options in the way I could be potentially paid but dont know best options.

Is anyone else in this situation or knows the correct way of proceeding ?

Dud
Dud

Return to Money matters