Enough?

No, really... it does!
But does it matter more in Malta than at home?

NO ADVERTISING - financial services adverts belong in our classifieds section. Get-rich-quick schemes belong in the trash.

Enough?

Postby ediburgh » Mon 20 Nov 2006 12:34

I have the possibility of a job in Malta paying just over 7000 Maltese per annum. How does this salary work out in local terms? Average? Above/below average? Enough to support myself and my 14 year old daughter? What standard of living will this give me?
Thanks
ediburgh

Postby peterj » Mon 20 Nov 2006 17:13

Tough question to answer as much of it is down to individual perception, but.......

I think that 7000 would be considered a good wage in local terms. The last time I saw an "average wage" figure it was quite a bit below that, but without knowing how the average is worked out (eg does it include part time work etc) it's pretty meaningless.

You could certainly live on that sort of wage for two. Have a good look through other answers on this forum and do a budget based on the costs discussed? Tax calculators are available on the government web pages

http://www.ird.gov.mt/services/taxcalculator/taxreturn/start.aspx

There's also a social security contribution calculator somewhere, but it works out at about 15% I think.

What sort of lifestyle? Thats tough to answer, but you should be able to find a fairly nice 2 bedroom flat for under 120ml per month. Basic living essentials are quite reasonably priced, but probably not a whole lot cheaper than the UK. Public transport is pretty good from an availability and price point of view, and if you want/need a car it will cost less than the UK to insure and register.

One thing I would check up on is cost of schooling. I'm not sure whether the free state schools teach in English, except as a compulsory foreign language (someone else may be able to tell you).

Hope this helps. Personally I'd rather have a cheap lifestyle here than a more expensive one in the UK.
peterj
Free member

Postby gozomark » Tue 21 Nov 2006 16:46

something else on schools. AFAIK all state ones have compulsary religious education/Catholic indoctrination - is that an issue ?
gozomark
Site Admin

Return to Money matters