Living Comfortably

No, really... it does!
But does it matter more in Malta than at home?

NO ADVERTISING - financial services adverts belong in our classifieds section. Get-rich-quick schemes belong in the trash.

Living Comfortably

Postby shazzamac » Sat 30 Jun 2007 17:40

Can you give me some advice.
My husband and I both work and are in our forties. We both have government pensions that work out in UK£s at 1500 pm. We have been thinking for quite sometime about relocating but have had to wait for him to leave the army (which is in a few months). I want to establish myself a little more in my teaching profession with a view of perhaps getting ajob in a school (this looks difficult but will post my queries on another thread).
If we did make the move are we likely to make ends meet moving to Malta with only a £1500pm income? We have 3 children who will be of secondary school age when we move and who we will not be able to fund at a private school.
We want to live in Malta rather than Gozo and know that certain areas can be expensive. But do you think this is do-able until one of us finds a job?
Sharon
shazzamac
Free member

Postby gozomark » Tue 03 Jul 2007 10:46

is that £1500pm after tax ? - if so, thats about Lm 900 pm - given average wages in Malta are around Lm 500 pm, that would put you on a typical income in Malta for a couple who both work, so its certainly do-able
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby peterj » Fri 20 Jul 2007 20:05

Everybody has a different idea of what living comfortably requires, but my partner and I have lived in what we call comfort in Gozo on about half that amount for the last year.

Whilst the choice of budget rental accommodation is wider in Gozo, it is certainly possible to find similar in Malta. I can't think of anything else which is actually cheaper in Gozo compared to Malta. (Gozo is much a nicer place to live though in my opinion............)
peterj
Free member

Living Comfortably

Postby shazzamac » Mon 13 Aug 2007 12:11

Thankyou so much for the response, I am sorry not to have posted my thanks earlier but we have been moving house and I have been without the internet for some time.
The £1500pm is after UK tax, so I suppose we are v v lucky if that equates to a Maltese couple's income. I know things are v difficult when you are on holiday, but I have generally found it an expensive place to visit regarding buying meals out etc (but then we have usually been eating in hotels).
I understand Gozo is a cheaper option and that property is cheaper on the island but I do like busy places. Can anyone advise a nice area on Malta to move to if you were in our situation regarding our income and with 3 children (2 at secondary - both grammar school standard, and 1 with 2 years left at primary). Do feel free to move this thread somewhere else as I'm not sure if I should carry on here or start a new one in property/schools.
Regards
Sharon
shazzamac
Free member

Postby Kay » Mon 13 Aug 2007 12:32

Please start new threads on the appropriate boards for new subjects. Thanks. It helps people coming after to find the info if they're asking the same questions. 8)
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Kay
Site Admin

Postby gozomark » Mon 13 Aug 2007 12:35

I'm not sure if property is cheaper in Gozo than Malta - maybe a little, but its difficult to compare like for like. What probably is cheaper in Gozo is renting. Gozo is as busy as you want it to be :D
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Mon 13 Aug 2007 17:36

I'm locking this topic as the original discussion seems to have run its course.

Please could everybody read and follow the guidelines on keeping on-topic and on when to start a new topic? It's not rocket science, and it helps keep the information organised so that everyone can find what they're looking for.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Dave
Site Admin

Return to Money matters