Importing personal goods

Post here only if your question doesn't belong anywhere else. Don't post loads of questions all in one message - that would defeat the point of the forums and such posts will be deleted (don't feel embarrassed if you have 5 or 6 questions - you're welcome to ask them in separate posts in the appropriate place). (NB - if you want to post about something not Malta-specific, then use the main British Expat Forum.)

Importing personal goods

Postby matt_jackson » Fri 08 Jun 2007 09:13

Hi,

Apologise if this is in the wrong thread but this seemed most appropiate. I have recently moved to Malta and I'm going to apply for permanent residency.

I'm looking to ship over a few things from the UK (TV, PC etc) and have been quoted £700 to do so. In the quote there is no indication of any Maltese tax/fees/paperwork charges. Does anyone know if there will be any?
matt_jackson

Postby Dave » Fri 08 Jun 2007 15:23

Sorry, Matt - you're quite right; as things stand, there is no obvious place where this topic should go.

That being the case, I've shifted this to the "Malta - other" board for now. If we create an appropriate board in future, we'll move it there. (The "Money matters" board is about financial services, banking etc rather than customs-related bureaucracy).

Hope someone's able to help with your enquiry, anyway.

Dave
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Dave
Site Admin

Postby gozomark » Sat 09 Jun 2007 07:07

coming from inside the EU, there will be no taxes, except on the tv (where its not a tax as such, but making sure its registered for TV licence)

on the TV, are you sure it will work in Malta ? not all UK TVs do - if you are only using it for digital signals (dvds, cable tv) should be fine, but the analogue broadcast frequency is slightly different - oftern means picture is good, but sound quality terrible

as for other charges, yes there will be some, but they maybe included already - I can only suggest check with your UK shippers - also, does their quote include VAT ?
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Wed 13 Jun 2007 02:23

I've shifted the Permanent Residency discussion to the Immigration/Residency board.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Dave
Site Admin

Return to Malta - other